I just saw this blog post, even though it's a month old. The author lists these seven essential truths of investing. (click the links for more detailed evidence):
1. Anyone can outperform at any time, no one can outperform all the time.
2. Persistence of performance is nearly non-existent
3. Taxes and commissions matter
4. Smart doesn’t equal good.
5. Incentives matter.
6. The crowd is always at its most wrong at the worst possible time.
7. Fear is significantly more powerful than greed
Looks pretty much like a list that we would come up with. ~FSB